Today’s first look at news, weather, and sports starts with election results and ends with spring weather forecasting. Subscribe to the Daybreak Drive-IN podcast to get what you need as soon as your day starts. We send it every morning before 5 am
- The mayor of Indianapolis will keep his job. Democrat Joe Hogsett took 60% of the vote to defeat his Republican challenger, Jefferson Shreve. It’s a headline-grabbing result after election day when some cities elect new mayors. Republican Sue Finkham holds office in Carmel… Democrat James Coffman does the same in Beech Grove… Democrat Deborah Whitfield takes office in Lawrence.
- Voters approved several local school surveys. Measures in Sheridan, Hamilton Southeastern, West Lafayette, and Carmel all passed.
- Abortion rights have become an important issue in several states. Ohio voters approved a measure to protect access to abortion. Democrats took over the state of Virginia, giving them the power to block new restrictions promised by a Republican governor… and Kentucky’s Democratic governor won re-election after campaigning for reproductive rights.
- A new analysis of last month’s global climate shows it was the hottest October on record – four-tenths of a degree warmer than the old mark, set in 2019. It is the fifth month in a row with such a history, which ensures that 2023 will be lower. as the hottest year since records began.
- One of Major League Baseball’s latest rule changes appears to be working. Game times for the World Series were the best in the postseason – clocking in at 3:02 on average… 20 minutes shorter than last year and 35 minutes faster than 2021. Experts recommend a watch.
- The pressing off-court crisis is over for the Indiana Pacers… for now. The NBA has agreed to a new deal to keep several teams, including the Pacers, on “Bally Sports” for the rest of the season. Bally is bankrupt and faces an uncertain long-term future. Fans haven’t been happy with the coverage so far this season – because most people don’t have access to the channel.
- Wednesday’s weather: Partly cloudy, windy, and warm – with a high of 75°! Expect spotty showers this evening.